Are you considering abortion as an option? Below you will find information on abortion costs and the different types of procedures in Minnesota.
If you are undecided about a plan for your pregnancy and you would like extra support, consider Options Counseling with one of our staff.
We always recommend taking time to get all the information about your options so you can make a well-informed decision about your pregnancy and your future.
Factors that Affect Abortion Cost:
- Stage of pregnancy. This means how far along you are in the pregnancy and how developed the baby is. This is best determined by having an ultrasound. Abortion clinics charge a fee for the ultrasound. Some pregnancy centers, like First Care, offer free ultrasounds.
- Insurance. Private insurances may cover the cost of an abortion. Many states do not cover abortion under Medicaid plans.
- Your state’s abortion laws. For instance, Minnesota has enacted the “Women’s Right To Know” informed consent law requiring that at least 24 hours before an abortion takes place, a woman must receive information about the medical risks associated with the abortion procedure, the gestational age of the unborn child, and the medical assistance benefits and child support payments available to her.
Minnesota Abortion Costs
In the state of Minnesota there are four different abortion procedures:
- A Medication Abortion (or the Abortion Pill): within 10 weeks of gestation
- Suction Aspiration/ Vacuum Abortion: 6-12 weeks gestation
- Dilation and Curettage: 13-16 weeks gestation
- Dilation and Evacuation: 17-21 weeks gestation*
*After 21 weeks you are unable to legally get an abortion in the state of Minnesota.
The cost of each abortion procedure varies and can have a range in price depending on which clinic/provider you see. Below is the typical range for abortion costs in Minnesota (without insurance).
|Abortion Pill||Vacuum Abortion||Dilation and Curettage Abortion||Dilation and Evacuation Abortion|
Please also be aware that the FDA highly discourages buying or procuring abortion medications online. Drugs from unknown sources can be dangerous and ineffective.
Women who receive one abortion procedure may also find that they’ll need another procedure for successful termination.
Explore Your Options at First Care
It is good to take time to think about your options. At our First Care centers we offer a variety of pregnancy related services for free to help you navigate your pregnancy journey and take time to explore your options.
While we do not provide or refer for abortion, our services are all free of charge and are a good first step if you are facing an unplanned pregnancy. Our medical staff can run a free pregnancy test for you—even if you’ve taken one at home.
If you are considering abortion, our sonographers can provide a free limited ultrasound to determine how far along you are and if your pregnancy is viable. In some cases, women experience miscarriages before they even have an abortion.Learn More